Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hey It's Great To Be Back Home Again

No, you didn't hear John Denver singing. It's just Hillbilly Mom, back to where she once belonged.

Ahh...Mansion sweet Mansion. We were able to make it home tonight, and on the 3rd of our four available routes. Conditions, they are improving. I had ONE parent tonight at conferences. That makes the whole six hours worth it, I suppose. Another duty day down. That leaves me with nine until the school year is kaput.

I would love to go on throwing out random numbers willy-nilly, but I feel the need to move on. I had a most scathingly brilliant idea for a blog post tonight, but I've decided to put it off until Friday. 'Faux Pas Wednesday' just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Tomorrow is the big Science Fair. One of my students brought in a really fine-looking project that he is entering. Another tore his apart and started over around 11:00 a.m. We'll see what develops. I have one in the Engineering category, in which a suspension bridge is compared to a double-deck bridge with supports, for load-bearing capacity, and another in the Chemistry category, in which water is separated into hydrogen and oxygen by using sodium and potassium and an electric current. All I can tell them is to label their steps and know what they're talking about. It's not like it's rocket science.

My #1 son is in the Physics category again. While the experiment itself is simple, his strengths lie in the tabling and graphing of data, and in being a know-it-all when the judges come around. Oh, and his late silent partner does OK, too.

Stay tuned tomorrow for the results. I know the suspense is killing you.

2 comments:

Mommy Needs a Xanax said...

Science fair is so much fairer than Reading fair. A few of my 7th graders placed in our Science Fair this week. I don't think any of my 8th graders did.

Hillbilly Mom said...

DPA,
A big HOORAH for your junior scientists! I love science fair.

Unfortunately, some of the projects at the college science fair looked like the parents made them. That's why the judges interview the contestants. No parents are allowed on the floor, ha ha!