Saturday, February 9, 2008

Trivial Pursuits

Tonight is the Trivia Contest. I haven't heard from anyone on my team. They didn't mention it Friday. I assume they know about it. But you know what happens when you assume...

My son's team has fragmented since last year. There is an offshoot that sucked away two members. I think he will be fine without them. He is extra motivated to beat them. I see a hot race for the Last Place banner shaping up.

This morning, I had a flashback to the Trivia years ago when that lady kept walking by my table, even though she was serving food and not playing, to talk to her husband, who was playing. And then in the last round, when I put my arm over our answers, because I suspected her of cheating, she stopped behind me and picked up my freakin' arm!!! I yanked it back and looked at her, and she said, "What's the matter? I'm not even playing. I just wanted to know the time." Then she traipsed over to her husband again. And his team beat us out of 3rd place by ONE point. And they kept the prize money, instead of donating it back! Mabel knows what I'm talkin' about. Yeah. A flashback. It gave me a cold sweat. Thank the Gummi Mary, these people haven't been playing for the past several years. And my team WON last year.

My Lower Basementia buddy has thickened a plot for tonight. We have a few new people on our team. BB says she will write down the answers on the turn-in sheet instead of me. She's not writing on me...I am the one who usually takes that task, because nobody else wants to do it. BB says that if there is a conflict, she will put down MY answers instead of theirs. That's because she thinks I'm a freakin' genius at Trivia. I refuse to take my answer over the group's answer, ever since that time I cost us two points when they agreed with me, and I was wrong. BB says she will take that responsibility. Who am I to divulge her little secret? She says that if anybody calls her on it, she will say, "Oh, was that what you wanted? I misunderstood. It goes so fast. I thought we decided on the other one." She figures that will work a couple of times. It will be interesting to see what enemies we make by the end of the night. That's what happens when somebody meddles with the winning mix that made us champions last year. Bet you never knew Trivia could be so cutthroat, huh?

I don't know if I can stand the excitement. Trivia tonight, Kathy Griffin tomorrow night. Spelling bee Monday night.

No comments: