Thursday, November 15, 2007

Random Thought Thursday #7, The Return

Kids these days are SO needy, impatient, rude, demanding, self-centered, and hypocritical. Not at all like ME.

The school year is almost over, you know. In five weeks it will be Christmas break, end of 1st Semester.

For his next Scholastic Books order, My Little Pony has chosen a hardcover on Mythology for the sum of $20 (which is like, a million dollars in the regular book world, because Scholastic gets those puppies to the Pony for cheap), and another highbrow book on the Roman Empire. I don't know where he gets this historical interest. It bores the pants off me.

Waldo likes to dart about the room like a seat-saver at a televised awards show. Waldo does not like it if you refer to him as Waldo when he does so. Waldo says that Mrs. HM is a gossip because she calls him Waldo. Waldo did not see the humor in a page ripped from a mail-order catalog advertising a TV, showing a picture of a girl in a red hooded coat and a kid that is the spitting image of Waldo. Especially when I held up the picture for the class, and asked, "Where's Waldo?" Waldo decreed that if he got higher than 80 on his test, I would call him Waldo no more. I told Waldo I would stop no matter what his score, since it bothered him. I only did it because I thought it was fun to tease him. Waldo said, "It is. You don't have to stop."

On CNN, I saw an old lady who found Jesus in a pancake, and sold him on eBay for $83. It truly made me wish that my student had not eaten half the Gummi Mary and then dumped her remains in the wastebasket.

The Devil's Playground makes a mean Cupcake Critter. It is two cupcakes draped in buttercream icing in the shape of a Maltese doggie. Mabel adores buttercream icing.

The turkey dinner from the cafeteria was excellent. Well, except we don't get much turkey roll, but the trimmings made up for it. We had mashed potatoes, green beans, a square of dressing, two hot rolls, and a big wedge of pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top. I could not finish it all in the 20 minutes I had after sitting down with my tray. Sorry, green beans, potatoes, and a roll. I will eat you another day. You are served more than once a year.

This week seems to have taken 8 days.
I'm so glad the school year is almost over.

4 comments:

Stewed Hamm said...

"Sorry, green beans, potatoes, and a roll. I will eat you another day. You are served more than once a year."

You don't know how right you are, HM. I'm sure those very same foodstuffs will be served next week.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Stewyouoverestimateourlunchladies,
I have a feeling next week will bring hot dogs, ham & cheese, and hamburgers. On foam trays, not the hard plastic washable trays. We have green beans every other day (they alternate with corn), and mashed potatoes twice a week. ONCE, we had macaroni and cheese for the vegetable. It was in the vegetable compartment, anyway.

Stewed Hamm said...

Actually, I was referring to the specific food that was on your plate... and for the same reason that they're breaking out the foam plates.

Hillbilly Mom said...

stewareyouaprivateinthehealthdepartmentarmy?
Great Googley Moogley! You KNOW it's against regulations to serve left-overs in a school cafeteria. We have to knock our trays against the big trash can and slide them in the window to be hosed off. No food is bein' saved there. But I have heard a rumor that the hamburgers and pizzas that are not taken are used over and over. It is unsubstantiated, of course.